Leo Mativo is a contemporary Kenyan Artist known for his Oil on canvas and innovative mixed media artworks.
Born in Nairobi, Kenya, his work often serves as a reflection on the urban environment and/or the state of the people who inhabit it, weaving together intricate narratives that delve deep into the core of our shared human experience.
Through his work, Mativo engages in a dialogue about the complexities of contemporary society, addressing issues to do with identity , the urban environment and mental health dispositions.
Mativo is a graduate of creative Entrepreneurship by the Godown Arts Centre with a background in Architecture from Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology and also completed the networked course CopyrightX that explores the current law of copyright and the ongoing debates concerning how that law should be reformed offered by Harvard Law School courtesy of the GoDown Arts Centre.
SELECTED SOLO EXHIBITIONS
- 2023 “MIRROR MIRROR -The Portraits of being Alive,” Alliance Francaise, Nairobi, Kenya.
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- 2021 “The Yellow Series” Noir Gallery, Nairobi Kenya.
- 2022 “Affordable Art Show” The National Museum of Nairobi, by Kenya Museum Society.
- 2022 “Tiny Christmas Works 2022” One Off Contemporary Gallery, Nairobi Kenya.
- 2023 “African Abstraction II” Montague Contemporary, New York NY USA.
- 2023 “ArtAffair 23” One Off Contemporary Gallery, Nairobi Kenya.
- 2023 “Africa Speak -54” ZeeArts Gallery, Mauritius.
- 2023 “Behind This Face 2 – Echoes of the Past.” Gravitart Gallery, Nairobi Kenya
- 2022 “The Tree” – 150cm x 180cm, Commonwealth Secretariat Talent and Cocktail event under the patronage of the Rt Hon Patricia Scotland KC, Commonwealth Secretary General in celebration of Black History Month on the 28th of October 2022.